Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bread in a Egg----what?

Since meeting Chris and Paul from Asiens Appliance in Santa Rosa and giving the Big Green Egg a test (cook) I cannot stay away from it! so last week I wanted to see how a Pugliese "a rustic Italian bread from Southern Italy, baked on the Egg"
A Pugliese is a wet dough bread so it is a little harder to form and bake in non-traditional ovens, but that gives this bread a true rustic look, the real questions will it bake up crisp crunchy outside and have a soft moist "crumb".



As you can see from this photo the crust has a rustic look, darker in areas and lighter where the scoring was done, this bread baked perfectly! while the "crumb" stayed moist and airy, the crust was crunchy and the differance of the tastes in the char were delicious. As you can see in the next photo the complexity of the bread was just awesome.






I have baked pizzas in Naples Italy with the best Pizzaioli in the world, in the best wood fired ovens, hand crafted Cirigliani Forni's and it is just amazing how great the pizza and breads taste!

And that is why I cannot say enough about the Big Green Egg, it bakes as close to the Cirigliani Forni than any other oven I have used outside of Naples, if you are a true BBQ lover and a home made pizza aficionado then you really have to get one of these eggs, you will love it! and if you need a great Pugliese recipe then just email me and I will send you one, there is nothing like a great home baked bread!

Check out my pizza pics baked on the Big Green Egg in my earlier post
Cheers,
Chef Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment