Saturday, August 7, 2010

This is a MESS O RIBS!!!!!!


Every guy (and most girls) I know say there BBQ is the best! I have the best sauce! I have the best rub! the fact is that if you ask a real Pit Master they will tell you the most important part of the BBQ is the meat! slow cooked at about 190 degrees with the right balance of lean protein and fat-good marbling if you will, so this brings me to share a few tips for great St. Louis ribs!

The St. Louis style rib is probably the most famous rib out there, its a great pork rib cut with plenty of meat balance with fat to produce a tender juicy rib, that is if you know how to cook it? like anything else it is a labor of love to an extent, because it take a good 8 hours to cook! now the fun part is the prep because it is really easy. I use a rub that of course I created here are the ingredients although not portioned because the point of this post is to inspire you to CREATE YOUR OWN!

I like to use minimal amounts of salt and sugar in my rub as both of those ingredients tend to dry out the meat, think beef jerky its salty right? its dry right? its hard right? Ok you get the picture well sugar does the same thing so stick to creating a rub that will burst with flavor of garlic, coriander, rosemary, and spice it up with chili powder and flakes maybe some Chipotle and onion powder. Using these ingredients will wake up the flavors in your meat and will bake into the meat and tenderize it while keeping the moisture in the meat.

If you do not have a smoker you can easily cook your ribs in the oven, I like to use a roasting pan with a turkey rack, I put a very thin layer of Olive oil on the meat then sprinkle my rub on----yes I said sprinkle you want to know why? because you do not need to get all of your flavor from your rub remember the BBQ sauce! that comes when your ribs are almost done. so you preheat your oven to 190 degrees and place your ribs on the turkey rack that is sitting in your roasting pan! this will catch all the juices that will be falling to the bottom as your ribs cook nice and slow. Cook the ribs for about 8 hrs or until you see the meat pulling back for the bone and you can insert a fork into the meat with little or no effort.

Now its time for you to take out the ribs and crank up the oven! because its time for the sauce to go on, and your sauce once again is a reflection of you, your tastes and how sweet or spicy you like it to be, maybe you like both like me! so I use a combination of tomato sauce and paste, brown sugar, minced garlic, sea salt, ground black pepper and a hint of Chipotle powder along with chili flakes, again experiment a little and make it your own, I like the heat to finish and the sweet front forward on my ribs, because in the middle of those flavors you will be tasting the tender juicy meat with a slight hint of your rub and the satisfying flavor it makes when combined with the fats and natural juices from the Pork.

So I have the ribs on the rack in the roasting pan and I am going slather (I love that word) SLATHER the sauce all over the ribs, and remember the oven is now as hot as you can get it! 500 degree or better, because you are going to put the ribs back in the oven for just 10 to 15 minutes max, this will be enough for the sauce to heat up quickly and stick to the ribs without taking away any of the juices you worked so hard to save! pair with some great homemade cornbread with honey infused butter and an Ice Cold brew!!!!! holy crap I am hungry

Enjoy

Chef Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment